« Home | Next: "Unflame" the Inflamed »
| Next: Tip And Trick »
| Next: Find Your Strength »
| Next: Disabled Or Enabled »
| Next: Hope »

RA-Related

Policy

Helpful

Recent

Archives





Site Feed: RSS










Thursday, May 05, 2005

Dare To Compare

Ok, I decided to dive into the new treatments for RA. My rheumatologist had wanted to put me on one of them and if it didn't take so much co-payment, I prolly already would have been. (I guess we will wait for the generic haha). It tickled my curiosity though as in what the difference was between them. So I visited their websites and gathered the information that I would like to know and think is worth sharing...What do they do and how is the medication taken? Right now I am on Ibuprofen, Plaquenil and Methotrexate. So how/where do they fit in/go out?

First site I visited:
http://www.remicade.com/index.jsp
This I found a very good and informative site. Definitely worth visiting! Great information and not only on the medication, but also tips for daily living with RA.

This is how it works:
REMICADE, in combination with methotrexate, is indicated for reducing signs and symptoms, inhibiting the progression of structural damage, and improving physical function in patients with moderately to severely active rheumatoid arthritis.
How to take it:
REMICADE is administered by IV infusion. A REMICADE infusion takes about two hours. After the initial three infusions, the dosing regimen is once every 8 weeks (only 6 times a year).

Sounds easy enough. No hassle, no storage, no disposal. Only a trip to where the medication is administered. Hmm...You have to plan your vacation around it though.

Next site:
http://www.humira.com
Good in formation on the medication (that rhymes haha).

How it works:
HUMIRA helps stop the progression of RA, cuts down the number of painful, swollen joints, and reduces disability. HUMIRA has been studied in combination with MTX and the results are consistent. Almost all HUMIRA clinical trials were conducted with combination therapy.
How to take it:
HUMIRA is taken as a self-administered injection. It comes in a single-dose, pre-filled glass syringe with a fixed needle. And is usually taken once every two weeks. HUMIRA needs to be stored in a refrigerator (2°C - 8°C/36-46°F).

This means you can do it at home and take it with you when/if necessary. Providing you can keep it cool till you have to take it. (I suggest you leave the fridge at home and find an icebox or something to carry it in. You got enough burden to carry around as it is:-). But it means storage, disposal and obtaining the medication.

Last site:
http://www.enbrel.com
Info was good. It was a little less well organized as the previous ones. It took me a little longer to find what I wanted to know. But let's pertain that to my impatience:-)

How it works:
ENBREL is indicated for reducing signs and symptoms, inducing major clinical response, inhibiting the progression of structural damage, and improving physical function in patients with moderately to severely active rheumatoid arthritis. ENBREL can be initiated in combination with methotrexate (MTX) or used alone.
How to take it:
ENBREL for adult patients is 50 mg per week given as one subcutaneous (SC) injection using a 50 mg/mL single-use prefilled syringe. and can replace two 25 mg vials of ENBREL.
The vial and diluent syringe should be stored in the refrigerator. ENBREL and the prefilled syringe must always be kept cool—at 36° to 46°F (2° to 8°C)

Same comments here as on the Humira. One other thing I read though, was that other doses should be manually mixed. But instructions are included with the medications, along with a vial adapter device and free kits and supplies.

Conclusion:
They all seem to work well and not just for RA, but for several other diseases. All the sites give good drug information as well as info on insurance/insurance support, and patient support.

I guess what it comes down to is what is most appealing and/or convenient to you. I, for instance, don't like the idea of sticking needles in myself, so if I had to make the choice right now, it prolly would come down to no.1. Yeah, I am a coward. This concludes the lesson for today, haha! I hope it is of any help.

Psalm 31:24
Be of good courage, And He shall strengthen your heart, All you who hope in the LORD
.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi corry
sounds like you've had some tough times, im sure you dont want to hear this from a 16 year old but i really do sympathise. i have has arthritis for 6 years and this year has been my worst. i havnt had a single day free of pain in 6 months and its quite frustrating. i have been on so many anti-inflams that my body is becoming immune that them and im too scared to go out without my crutches or wheelchair because i get knocked around by people that dont really care. i was just wondering what meds worked/work best for you? also i would like to thank you for this website i dont really get other peoples insights to this condition so thank you
kind regards

October 16, 2005 4:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have to express more your opinion to attract more readers, because just a video or plain text without any personal approach is not that valuable. But it is just form my point of view

February 17, 2010 3:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am reading this article second time today, you have to be more careful with content leakers. If I will fount it again I will send you a link

February 19, 2010 1:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I get 5 vials of Remicade every 5 weeks (administered at a Hospital) It is fantastic! I have been doing this for over 8 years. It has dramatically improved the quality of my life. I could barely pick up a glass when I started- now I function close to normal. I don't take Methotrexate with it. You do have to get an injection of Benadril prior to the infusion as allergic reactions can occur- for me it was extremely labored breathing. The Benadril eliminates any issue with allergies. REMICADE IS GREAT STUFF!

August 03, 2010 3:08 AM  

Post a Comment

Copyright © Corryc 2005 - 2014