« Home | Next: God's Gift »
| Next: Something Is Fishy »
| Next: Dare To Compare »
| Next: "Unflame" the Inflamed »
| Next: Tip And Trick »
| Next: Find Your Strength »
| Next: Disabled Or Enabled »
| Next: Hope »

RA-Related

Policy

Helpful

Recent

Archives





Site Feed: RSS










Friday, May 13, 2005

Make A Move

I decided to dive a little deeper into the exercise issue. There are many forms of "movement" we can do, that keep the strength in our muscles and the flexibility in our joints, without too much effort or strain. They might even prevent damage after/during another disease-attack, bless your heart:-). Well, everyone is different and each of us has their own likes, dislikes, preferences and abilities ( which is good, otherwise it would be boring huh?). So I did a little research on what we can do and the effects of it. And as always, consult your Rheumatologist. I am no doctor, just a patient sharing experiences:-)

There are several sports you can do ( and not just for RA!), like: Swimming (preferable in warm water), water-exercises, bicycling, stretching and walking.
You can do these anytime at your own leisure and pace as/when the situation of your condition allows. You don't even have to leave your house for it. Exercise equipment can be purchased at the stores. Even a swimming-pool... if you are swimming in money, haha.

Then we have the slow movement arts: Yoga and Tai Chi.
Anyone at any age can do it. " For people with a variety of musculoskeletal conditions because it improves flexibility and builds muscle strength gradually. And done properly, can be a beneficial exercise for people with arthritis." ( How slow can you go? haha).

Another is Ergotherapy :"Treatment of disease by physical effort." This may help prevent and improve injury, or to give relief to people who already have symptoms.
Physical therapy: "Therapeutic exercise is the systematic implementation of planned physical movements, postures, or activities designed to: 1) remediate or prevent impairments; 2) enhance function; and 3) enhance fitness and well-being."
The therapist will develop a range of exercises solely for you and your condition. Now, if that doesn't make you feel special...:-)

After several years of RA, I had Mensendieck therapy. If I had to describe it, I would say it's a combination of all of the above. I was taught several exercises that I could do myself. I managed to do it for about half a year. Then my RA flared up and I could not do all of them. A good justification I figured for stopping all together. Yeah, yeah, laziness, headstrong, impatience...Take your pick, haha. So, I honestly can not tell you if it helped. Looking back, I think it prolly would have:-)

James 1:4
But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do t'ai chi on and off on my own with some vidoes/DVD's I've bought over the years. I like it - it's mu only form of exercise (not because of health - I'm just lazy) :-)

Good luck with your exercise, and many prayers for your continued management of your health :-)

Blessings & Peace,
hugo

October 15, 2005 5:10 AM  
Blogger Corry said...

Thanks Hugo, but I am too lazy to exercise as well. But both kc and I are thinking about it. Well...that's the first step huh?

Thank you for your prayers, we are grateful and it's highly appreciated!:-)

God's Grace.

October 15, 2005 5:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol! :-) I'm re-reading a book called The Introvert Advantage - one of the things the author advocates for introverts who are wanting to try something new is to take micro steps in that direction . . . and the very first micro step is to just think about something for at least a week . . . so it sounds like a good start to me! :-)

Blesings & Peace,
Hugo

October 15, 2005 5:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Corry...no I don't mind your comments. I appreciate comments like you have given. I do tend to run and hide sometimes. I hurt sometimes and no one knows. I don't mind at all. You know, I don't exactly know how to contact you thru email...maybe you can give me an insight on that. Let me know....Love, K

October 16, 2005 3:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know what to say regarding your comment other than....I concur


lol thanks for your comments, they encourage me.

October 17, 2005 2:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks and yeah i'm alive just been really busy and can only keep up with one blog...haha have a great day!

October 17, 2005 2:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear, Corry, this is Monica again, I commented somewhere else on the site. Did you find any really good websites on exercise for people with RA? My problem is that I cannot get on the floor or my knees at all. I have had several joint replacements in fact. I also cannot move my legs high enough right now to bike. If you have any suggestions, I would completely appreciate it. Thanks in Christ, Monica

January 29, 2006 7:29 PM  
Blogger Corry said...

Monica:

The arthritis foundation's website has some tips and suggestions for exercises. The link is in my sidebar:-)

Personally I was thinking that water-aerobics might be something for you to look into. It's easy on the joints and strengthens the muscles. I hope this is of some help to you.

Keeping you in my prayers.

God's Grace.

January 29, 2006 11:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Copyright © Corryc 2005 - 2014