« Home | Next: Walk In Faith »
| Next: A True Act of Kindness »
| Next: Critter's Cooings IV »
| Next: It's A Boy!!! »
| Next: Olive Oil »
| Next: Can You Hear Me Now?? »
| Next: Nice Matters »
| Next: Long Overdue »
| Next: Wreck »
| Next: Brain-Strain »

RA-Related

Policy

Helpful

Recent

Archives





Site Feed: RSS










Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Fishy

Way back I did an article on the medicinal effects of Fish Oil and RA. It's not only beneficial for joints and fighting inflammations, but also for Alzheimer Disease, prostate cancer, depression and even as a prevention for heart-attacks and strokes. And these are only a few of a wide range of diseases that can be positively affected by the Omega-3s.

Not too long ago, I came across this article.
It's a long read and I can fully understand you don't have the time or the need to go through all of it, so I will give you a short summary of the main contents of it:

"Scientists worldwide are praising a nutrient so powerful that it may help combat dozens of diseases. But don't expect an endorsement from our policy makers: They say we can do without.

The government has been equally cautious. So far, the Food and Drug Administration has issued only a tepid statement that "supportive but not conclusive research" indicates that DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) and EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) are good for your heart. And the Food and Nutrition Board—the scientific panel that, funded mostly by federal money, creates Daily Recommended Intakes (DRI) for essential nutrients—has shrugged off the issue altogether.

Before the Food and Nutrition Board announced its most recent DRI for fatty acids, in 2002, some experts were optimistic that omega-3s would make the cut, given the research strides made over the previous decade. Instead, DHA and EPA were nowhere to be found—snubbed yet again by the larger scientific community. Even worse, the new DRI recommended that adults continue eating 10 times as many omega-6s as omega-3s, a ratio that practically gave omega-3 researchers a heart attack.

The board's cautious approach is typical of how slow our government is to accept scientific change, say advocates of omega-3s. For example, although the World Health Organization endorsed adding DHA to infant formula back in 1994, it took the FDA until 2002 to approve the move.

Perhaps, but it's revealing that even though important studies have come out since the board's 2002 list, it has no plans to revisit the status of DHA, despite the fact that at least one panelist has changed her mind."
~ By Sabrina Rubin Erdely and Denny Watkins, Arthritis Foundation.

Hmmm, I guess there is a lot of truth in the expression: "Go fish!", huh?! grin.

At least God knows what's best for us and He won't withhold, nor over complicate it. All we got to do is accept it and praise Him for all His provisions and blessings. :-)

Proverbs 12:18
There is one who speaks like the piercings of a sword, But the tongue of the wise promotes health.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Corry,

Interesting post and good information . My doctor does a blood test every time I visit him . I don't know the name of the test but its tells him about everything in my system ?

He asked me how long I had been taking Glucosamine with Msn ? I had not told him that I was taking any . They are 2 tablets a day with 1500 mg of glucosamine HCI and msn in each tablet ?

These pills consist of shellfish[ shrimp-crab-lobster and crayfish ] and I will recommend it to those who are not allergic to fish ? It helps to rebuild all of your joint cartilages ?

5 years ago the x-rays showed all my joints deficient and damaged , even my vertibrae in my back ? 4 years later x-rays show about 85% rebuilt ?

I am very grateful for what God has done for me ? The only problem I have is I get to excited {kinda like a little kid with a big bag of candy } when I can start doing something I couldn't do and let my ignorance and stubborness catch up with me ?

I have no doubt that fish is good for effects of arthoritis ? 2 years ago the FDA did a lot of studying on this product and they nearly added it to our medicare prescription plans .

Blessings and thanks for update !
Grandpaw .

October 25, 2007 9:16 AM  
Blogger Corry said...

Grandpaw,
Praise The Lord for blessing you with rebuilding your joints! That is great.

I hope the DFA will approve it shortly. There are too many positive effects to fish-oil to ignore!

Try to take it easy, Grandpaw. Nobody benefits when you are down and out, least of all you!

Many blessings,

God's Grace.

October 25, 2007 4:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the information. My mom was a great defender of the fish oils and their effect on the body. Just goes to show you Moms are always right!!! lol!! :) Have a great day, Corry.

October 26, 2007 8:44 AM  
Blogger Corry said...

Amy,
Your mom was a wise woman! :-)

I can't agree with you though that moms are always right (I know that from experience!) hahaha.

Have a blessed day as well!

God's Grace.

October 26, 2007 9:14 AM  
Blogger audrey` said...

Dearest Lieve Zus

Yeah!
Try to eat more white meat, fruits and vegetables =)

I still prefer sweet desserts =P

October 26, 2007 11:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi mamu! just dropping by and leaving my prints here. =)

October 27, 2007 8:55 AM  
Blogger Corry said...

Audrey,
I do prefer those too. I just wish they weren't so fattening, haha.

I hope you had a great weekend, Lieve Zus!!

(((HUGS)))

Pia,
And such nice prints they are!! :-D

(((HUGS))), girlie.

God's Grace.

October 28, 2007 6:17 PM  
Blogger audrey` said...

Dearest Corry

Bel's exam was ok yesterday.
Praise the Lord!
There is another paper tomorrow.
Thank you so much for your prayers and love =)

(((HUGS)))

October 29, 2007 6:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Oma,
Been missing me , just look over at grandpaw's house and you might find me ? He helped me write a post for innocent kids like me !

Had lots of fun ?

Blessings.
Lit'l KC.

October 30, 2007 11:57 AM  
Blogger Corry said...

Audrey,
Thanks for the update! We are eagerly awaiting the results. :-)

(((HUGS))) Lieve Zus.

Lil' Casey,
Uh Oh, what have you been up to?
And here we are, thinking you are sound asleep in your crib. Yeah, right!!! grin.

God's Grace.

October 30, 2007 6:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As we go through time researchers find that there are many natural ways to treat the diseases that afflict us. Here's hoping that there are still people that are dirven to find those natural cures.

November 03, 2007 1:57 PM  
Blogger Corry said...

Rheumatoid Arthritis Blog,
Welcome to my blog and thank you for your comment.
I hope with you, that would be so awesome.

BTW, you have a great blog. I hope to see you here more often.

God's Grace.

November 05, 2007 5:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Copyright © Corryc 2005 - 2014