« Home | Next: Time Out, Time Off »
| Next: Prescriptions: The Price Is Right »
| Next: Expectations »
| Next: Spring Cleaning »
| Next: Brotherly Love »
| Next: Happy Thanksgiving! »
| Next: Thank You »
| Next: Research To The Rescue »
| Next: The Steel Horse »
| Next: Change »

RA-Related

Policy

Helpful

Recent

Archives





Site Feed: RSS










Monday, December 05, 2005

Bursting Bubbles

If you still think the Netherlands is all about windmills and wooden shoes, then you better catch up. A while back it was, but not anymore. Sorry to burst your bubble:-)

The windmills are still there, but sporadically and mostly kept for historical reasons and tourism. A few are still fully operational, but even for the Dutch that has become a rarity and an attraction.

The old ones are prolly more attractive because of their nostalgic value, but I have seen the new ones painted in different colors so they make a rainbow, which was a pretty sight as well.

As for the wooden shoes, my Mom grew up wearing them. Lots of people did, mostly farmers, which was a huge chunk of the population at that time. And there were a lot of advantage to them. They were cheap, warm in winter, water-resistant and long-lasting. Plus, since they didn't take on the form of the owner's foot, they could be passed on to the next kid in line. That was, if you didn't break them in the meantime, haha. Apparently, that was a rarity because the Dutch have a saying when it comes to something astonishing: "That breaks my wooden shoe!" But, the wooden shoe was replaced by the fashion industry with more adorning footwear:-) And just as the windmills, there are still some wooden shoes around, sporadically, fully operational, (mostly worn by farmers and yes, those are still around as well, haha) and another rarity and attraction.


Nowadays you buy wooden shoes, use
them as planters and hang them outside.
Or...since the tourist-industry got hold
of them,sell them as souvenirs!


There are many Christians around and yet, it seems like they are being looked upon as a rare attraction, people that haven't kept up with modern society's evolution. I am not sorry to burst that bubble. God's Word is just as applicable now as it was then. It is timeless. It's the Living Word:-)

Isaiah 40:8
The grass withers, the flower fades, But the word of our God stands forever.

14 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

I am back after a month off of blogging -- thank you for your kind comments and prayers! I am excited to see another post on the Netherlands. Your verse today is quite timely. Life certainly does bring change faster than we can keep up with it! Blessings to you and your house!

December 06, 2005 12:17 AM  
Blogger Pilot Mom said...

Corry, I remember my visit over yonder when I was young. I bought a pair of wooden shoes and just loved them. My mom bought some for decorations (yes, planters) and we must have left in one of the shops because we never made it home with them. :( We all loved the windmills but I guess "progress" eventually catches up with all of us. *sigh*
And the tulips...oh my! Gorgeous!
Thanks for my stroll down memory lane this evening! :)

December 06, 2005 12:28 AM  
Blogger Corry said...

Kim:

It's good to see you back. I hope everything is well with y'all.

I noticed not only change goes fast, but time as well!
You may want to read the post about the steel horse. It is very representative and gives a good impression what to expect to see:-)

God's Grace.

December 06, 2005 4:34 AM  
Blogger Corry said...

Claire:

You are more then welcome. I am sorry you didn't have the wooden shoes. I would send you a pair if I had one:-)

I too loved to see those huge beds of tulips. Did you know that those are mainly grown for the bulbs and not for the flowers? The tulips are cut off so the bulb grows and gets stronger. Then they are (mostly) being exported. Hmm...food for a post???:-)

Have a great day.

God's Grace.

December 06, 2005 5:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Out with BE and came across your blog. Looks as good as ever.

December 06, 2005 12:55 PM  
Blogger Corry said...

Abraham:

Thank you:-)I tried to make it look a little better then it was.

God's Grace.

December 06, 2005 1:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Corry,
Love for you to stop. I stopped when I was out with BE this morning (above). I don't know about "snatching away all the credits." Not sure what that means. That's a new one on me. I am just happy to be able to do this. Thanks again for stopping.

December 06, 2005 3:51 PM  
Blogger Corry said...

Abraham:

I am happy too you can do this and it's always a pleasure to see you drop in here. And the explanation is on your site:-)

God's Grace.

December 06, 2005 5:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH, Now I know what you meant. I don't really know how the mystery credits work. I did get 50 in one shot though when I was surfing the blogs. I usually only get 2. I also found that I get more credits when I use the Mac than I do on a PC. I don't know why.

December 06, 2005 6:04 PM  
Blogger Corry said...

Abraham:

See, I knew you snatched all the credits away, haha. Kidding:-)

God's Grace.

December 06, 2005 6:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'd love to see a real windmill. i only get to see them in books and movies.

thank you for your prayers, corry. i forwarded your email to jec. i want him to know that friends are praying for us.

may you be blessed more. love yah!

December 06, 2005 11:16 PM  
Blogger Corry said...

Pia:

You may get to see them yourself sometime, you never know where God may lead you:-)

Thank you for letting Jec know. Kc and I pray it will be of some comfort to him and help him through this difficult time as well.

And God already blessed us by being able to pray for y'all and having found such wonderful friends:-)

We "love yah" too! It's so nice to see you learn American, hehe.

God's Grace.

December 07, 2005 5:41 AM  
Blogger Kitty Cheng said...

I would so love to see a real windmill. It's non-existent in Australia of course ;)

You are so right....no matter how much things change, God never changes. Hallelujah!

December 07, 2005 9:07 AM  
Blogger Corry said...

Kitty:

Welcome and thank you for the visit and the comment.

I understood from your blog you do quite some traveling. Maybe you get to see them for real sometime:-)

And I join you in praise. Hallelujah!

Have a great day.

God's Grace.

December 08, 2005 10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Copyright © Corryc 2005 - 2014