« Home | Next: Fruit »
| Next: Happy Easter! »
| Next: A Smile For You! »
| Next: Is There A Doctor In The House? »
| Next: The Cure »
| Next: Blonde Conversation »
| Next: Beautiful People »
| Next: My Little Buddy »
| Next: Spill The Beans »
| Next: Creation »

RA-Related

Policy

Helpful

Recent

Archives





Site Feed: RSS










Saturday, April 14, 2007

Banana Boost

After reading this, it's not so strange why it's monkeys' favorite food. They sure know what's good for them! And now I know where they get their energy. Plus... I found a good justification for eating banana-splits, haha.

"Bananas Contain three natural sugars - sucrose, fructose and glucose combined with fiber. A banana gives an instant, sustained and substantial boost of energy. Research has proven that just two bananas provide enough energy for a strenuous 90-minute workout. No wonder the banana is the number one fruit with the world's leading athletes. But energy isn't the only way a banana can help us keep fit. It can also help overcome or prevent a substantial number of illnesses and conditions, making it a must to add to our daily diet.


Depression:
According to a recent survey undertaken by MIND amongst people suffering from depression, many felt much better after eating a banana. This is because bananas contain tryptophan, a type of protein that the body converts into serotonin, known to make you relax, improve your mood and generally make you feel better.

PMS:
The vitamin B6 a banana contains, regulates blood glucose levels, which can affect your mood.

Anemia:
High in iron, bananas can stimulate the production of hemoglobin in the blood and so helps in cases of anemia.

Blood Pressure:
Bananas are extremely high in potassium, yet low in salt, making them the perfect way to beat blood pressure. So much so, the US Food and Drug Administration has just allowed the banana -industry to make official claims for the fruit's ability to reduce the risk of blood pressure and stroke.

Brain Power:
200 students at a Twickenham (Middlesex England ) school were helped through their exams this year by eating bananas at breakfast, break, and lunch in a bid to boost their brain power. Research has shown that the potassium-packed fruit can assist learning by making pupils more alert.

Constipation:
High in fiber, including bananas in the diet can help restore normal bowel action, helping to overcome the problem without resorting to laxatives.

Heartburn:
Bananas have a natural antacid effect in the body, so if you suffer from heartburn, try eating a banana for soothing relief.

Morning Sickness:
Snacking on bananas between meals helps to keep blood sugar levels up and avoid morning sickness.

Mosquito bites:
Before reaching for the insect bite cream, try rubbing the affected area with the inside of a banana skin. Many people find it amazingly successful at reducing swelling and irritation.

Nerves:
Bananas are high in B vitamins that help calm the nervous system.

Overweight and stress:

Studies at the Institute of Psychology in Austria found pressure at work leads to gorging on comfort food like chocolate and chips. Looking at 5,000 hospital patients, researchers found the most obese were more likely to be in high-pressure jobs. The report concluded that, to avoid panic-induced food cravings, we need to control our blood sugar levels by snacking on high carbohydrate foods every two hours to keep levels steady.

Ulcers:
The banana is used as the dietary food against intestinal disorders because of its soft texture and smoothness. It is the only raw fruit that can be eaten without distress in over-chronicler cases. It also neutralizes over-acidity and reduces irritation by coating the lining of the stomach.

Temperature control:
Many other cultures see bananas as a "cooling" fruit that can lower both the physical and emotional temperature of expectant mothers. In Thailand , for example, pregnant women eat bananas to ensure their baby is born with a cool temperature.

Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD):
Bananas can help SAD sufferers because they contain the natural mood enhancer tryptophan.

Smoking:
Bananas can also help people trying to give up smoking. The B6 and B12 they contain, as well as the potassium and magnesium found in them, help the body recover from the effects of nicotine withdrawal.

Stress:
Potassium is a vital mineral which helps normalize the heartbeat, sends oxygen to the brain and regulates your body's water balance. When we are stressed, our metabolic rate rises, thereby reducing our potassium levels. These can be rebalanced with the help of a high-potassium banana snack.

Strokes:
According to research in "The New England Journal of Medicine," eating bananas as part of a regular diet can cut the risk of death from strokes by as much as 40%!

So, a banana really is a natural remedy for many ills. When you compare it to an apple, it has four times the protein, twice the carbohydrates, three times the phosphorus, five times the vitamin A and iron, and twice the other vitamins and minerals. It is also rich in potassium and is one of the best value foods around. So maybe its time to change that well-known phrase so that we say, "A banana a day keeps the doctor away!"

And here is one for the gardeners amongst us:

If your roses are covered with Aphids, drape banana skins over the branches, It's amazing, but in a day or less, they are GONE!"
~Thanks to Ron for this information.

I always find it amazing how God connects everything. Just think for a minute... Every little fiber in our body has it's own function. to make it all work together, is an incredible, complicated work of art. And then, to keep that body functioning, everything we eat, that God created to nourish us, contains all we need! We may not always want it, or have a taste for it and we often try something different, just to find out we messed up God's perfect work and plan.
Same goes for our lives. God has it all worked out, but we often don't want it, or think we know better and try it our way, just to find.... yeah, you know! :-) But you know what else? Even our mess God can take and make it work together for good, if we just let Him. :-)

James 3:17
But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality and without hypocrisy.

23 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd just finished a bannana when I came across this post! Thanks! : )

April 14, 2007 11:51 PM  
Blogger Corry said...

Amanda,
All for a reason, huh?! At least now you know what you ate. :-)

Have a blessed Sunday.

God's Grace.

April 15, 2007 6:35 AM  
Blogger Missy said...

Sounds like I'll need a bushel to get me through 'til Spring finally shows up!

Thanks for visiting my new blog!

April 15, 2007 2:25 PM  
Blogger jel said...

me love my bananas :)

April 15, 2007 4:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BANANAS >>> I just got through eating a banana sandwich and some fried chicken ? >>>delicious<<< Blessings. Ron.

April 15, 2007 8:28 PM  
Blogger audrey` said...

Hi Corry

Yeah!
We eat bananas everyday.
Yummy =)

April 16, 2007 12:54 AM  
Blogger Corry said...

Missy,
It was my pleasure and thanks for visiting my blog and commenting.:-)

Sounds like we are in the same (banana-)boat. I have been feeling like that for a week now, yuck. And spring is already here! I guess I am not a spring-chicken anymore, hehe.

Have a very blessed day!

Jel,
Your bananas? YOUR bananas??? Hmmm Miss Cloudy, what happened to "share with one another"?

Teasing you, girl. I just couldn't resist. hehe.
A very blessed and joyful day, dear sister. :-)

Ron,
That does sound delicious!
It's our turn to go to the (Wal)-market and get some health-stuff. We keep putting it off cause we don't like going there, but you just can't beat their prices.

How is your walking coming along? I pray it's improving by the day!
God bless you, brother.

Audrey,
Aha! That explains why you are always in such a good mood and bring smiles where ever you go! :-D

(((HUGS))) and many blessings to you!

God's Grace.

April 16, 2007 4:44 AM  
Blogger jel said...

me sorry, me should have taking out the me, and ya know me would share :)


hugss!

April 16, 2007 5:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Corry ,that is reason I go to walmart once a month whether I need to go or not ? I like to visit our local farmers market for my vegies and fruit cause we have know the folks about 30 years and they give me a good price ? Let me tell you an experience that happened the other day ? I went to the little corner store and went in and made purchase and when I started to leave I left my cane standing by counter and was walking out the door when I heard the lady hollering at me and telling me I forgot my cane ? MADE ME FEEL SO GOOD, But that particular day was one of them exceptional days ? [ GOD IS GOOD ? ] Blessings. Ron.

April 16, 2007 8:47 AM  
Blogger Redeemed said...

That is so good to know, banana is one of my favorite fruit! I also love banana bread. :)

April 16, 2007 11:32 AM  
Blogger Corry said...

Janice,
Awww, of course me know you would!! :-D

Ron,
Wow that is great! Praise The Lord!! I hope and pray you will forget your cane many more times. May God bless you with many more exceptional days.

Sarah,
I too love banana bread and banana nut muffins, and banana milkshake and... and.. and I got to stop now. I am starting to drool all over my keyboard, hehe.

God's Grace.

April 16, 2007 3:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, jel, did you call me? just kidding. Great post, Corry, you told me what I didn't want to hear. I am not a banana lover, but now I know I need to be. :) I bought some today and I am going to try to eat them, sigh, again. Have a good one!

April 16, 2007 8:59 PM  
Blogger Corry said...

Amy,
I totally sympathize wanting/having to eat something that's good for you, but you don't like. Do you think you can mix or combine it with something you like? The best recipes have come from trying several things, you never know what you come up with. :-)

Have a very blessed day, dear sis.

April 17, 2007 10:36 AM  
Blogger audrey` said...

HiHi Corry

HaHa!
You know me so well despite the distance that separates us =)

You're so smart lieve zus.

April 21, 2007 2:46 AM  
Blogger Corry said...

Audrey,
Nah, I only read bananas are good for fighting depression and improve the mood. Not so difficult then to put two and two together, hehe.

God's Grace.

April 21, 2007 6:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think i need to buy a banana later after work. =)

April 22, 2007 12:30 AM  
Blogger Corry said...

Pia,
Yep, they are good for you! :-)

God's Grace.

April 22, 2007 6:39 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

this is amazing! i am going to eat more bananas! God spoils us! thanks for this post! Angela ps I linked this to my site!

May 17, 2007 10:01 PM  
Blogger Corry said...

Angela,
I was amazes myself when brother Ron sent this to me. I knew fruit was healthy but had no idea what all bananas did for you. I guess we should change the expression to: a banana a day... :-)

Thank you so much for the links on to my site. I appreciate it very much!

Have a blessed weekend.

God's Grace.

May 18, 2007 5:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Corry for the info upon banana....
I have been on homeopathic medicine for arthritis and the doc has asked me not to have bananas....
just love to hear that it helps in arthritis

March 26, 2009 2:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

one more thing.... you have a very good hand at drawing!!

March 26, 2009 2:07 AM  
Blogger Corry said...

Sneha,
Welcome to my blog and thank you so much for the comment and the compliment. The last I accredit to God. :-)

When I was taking homeopathic medicine, I was told to stay away from caffeine. So.. no coffee and no cola. I guess every homeopathic medicine has a different thing that could counteract their benefits. For you it is bananas.

I hope your Arthritis is getting better and I will remember you in my prayers.

God's Grace.

March 26, 2009 8:04 AM  
Anonymous Daniel said...

I've moved to Asia and here they say that if you have arthritis, you should avoid bananas. But plantains will actually be fine, they say. Does anyone know the difference? Why would bananas increase the pain in your joints when the smaller versions wouldn't? Thanks.

March 02, 2011 9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Copyright © Corryc 2005 - 2014