« Home | Next: Have Fun! »
| Next: A Laugh A Day »
| Next: Uh Oh »
| Next: Hey You Guys!! »
| Next: Hectic Was A Breeze! »
| Next: Our Second Grandson Arrived! »
| Next: Not Much Longer »
| Next: For The Best »
| Next: Happy Face »
| Next: Happy New Year! »

RA-Related

Policy

Helpful

Recent

Archives





Site Feed: RSS










Friday, March 07, 2008

Outdoor Fun With Grandkids

Spring is in the air and summer is coming up. Kids love to be outside and be active. But what if your physical state limits you in participating in many activities? Then you think of fun things everyone can do!
Here are a few tips:

OUTDOORS
Go fly a kite.

Head out to the park with the grand kids, and launch a kite. Once it's aloft, the kids can do most of the running, but you can guide them in the finer points of letting out enough string to keep the kite soaring steady and high.

Take a hike.

Conduct a nature hike through a forest preserve, and distribute an "I spy" list of flowers, birds and trees for the kids to try and spot. Beach walking is a favorite of Forrest and Linda Blanchard, of Palmetto, Fla. Their older grandchildren look for the flattest stone, which later is marked with the child's name and the date of the outing.

Grow together.

Planting flower seeds in a windowsill garden with grandchildren is fun and educational. Take a trip to your local garden center, and allow the kids to choose the types of flowers they want to grow. Label each seed packet with the child's name, and attach it to a marker. They can check their plants' progress on return visits.

Bust out the bubbles.

Blowing bubbles with a large wand in the backyard provides a fun outdoor activity. Grandparents can join in or watch from the comfort of a lawn chair, while the grand kids run around trying to catch bubbles before they pop.

Host a backyard “formal” tea party.

Allow the children to choose their own outfits from a dress-up trunk filled with old party clothes, hats, neckties and costume jewelry from your closet or purchased at a thrift store. Set up a card table and chairs on the lawn, and decorate the trees with balloons and streamers. Serve finger sandwiches, fruit, cookies and punch.

Suds it up.

Washing the car can become a family project. Put little ones in charge of doing everything below the door handles. Afterward, they can run through the sprinkler to rinse off. Then reward a job well done by treating the kids to ice-cream cones.
~Arthritis Foundation.

I got a tip of my own which I can see us do when our little critters are getting older:
while taking a walk on the beach or in the woods, look for all kinds of finds. Those could be shells, drift wood or anything else that washed ashore, leaves, seeds, pretty stones, odd twigs etc. Collect it and have the kids make a collage with it (a nice indoor activity for a rainy day!).
Tips are always welcome, so please share!

Try not to be discouraged when you can't participate in an activity and do not make the mistake to withdraw and put yourself on the side lines. There are many others things you can partake in. Maybe a fun thing to do is, have your grand kids come up with activities and games you can join as well. You might be surprised. :-)

I have said it so many times, when one door closes, God opens another one. And He does!

Ecclesiastes 9:4
But for him who is joined to all the living there is hope, for a living dog is better than a dead lion.

18 Comments:

Blogger Seeker said...

The idea about taking a walk and collecting things is a great one. I've done this, and the kids love gathering things: a feather, flower petals, pebbles, even a weed. And they love gluing things on paper.

March 09, 2008 6:56 PM  
Blogger Corry said...

Karen,
I was just thinking what I would love to do as a kid. Funny thing is, I still do it! Each time we go walk somewhere, I come back with all kinds of things. Eventually I use them in some crafty project.

I also think it might be educational to find out what kind of leaf they found, or what flower petal it is, even what weed.

Have a great and blessed evening!

God's Grace.

March 09, 2008 8:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Corry,

There's many things I think about doing with my grandkids , its just That I cain't do many ?

Sorry cause I hadn't been by in a while but I had a monster that got a hold of me that keeps tripping me up ? KC told me about your coughing that cause you to hurt your rib cage ! You see I coughed so much and had to catch my store bought teeth so many times that I got three ulcers under my bottom plate [caint eat nothing but soup] ?

I hope the little ones get well also. Will be praying for them !

Blessings.
grandpaw.

March 10, 2008 8:15 PM  
Blogger audrey` said...

HaHa!
I don't have grandkids yet =P
Walking along the beach sounds very fun.
Be close to nature and God =)

March 12, 2008 7:19 AM  
Blogger Corry said...

Grandpaw,
Oh I am so sorry to hear you are in pain. I will remember you in my prayers!
I sure hope that monster is gone as well!

Yeah, I either sprained a muscle or bruised (maybe even cracked) a rib while coughing. It is getting better, although it's a slow process.

Thank you so much for your prayers. Both little ones are doing well. Your big buddy is walking and came staggering down the hall the other day, waving the toilet wand, hahaha.

Little buddy is having bronchitis, but got some good medications and is doing much better.

We still need to download pics, sigh. Lil' Casey has been bugging me to write a post and so has Leo. We hope to get around to it soon.

Have a very blessed day!:-)

Audrey,
It's fun to do even if you don't have grandkids. I love to do it myself. I guess I am a big kid huh, haha.

(((HUGS))) Lieve Zus and have a very blessed day as well.

God's Grace.

March 12, 2008 7:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Corry, so sorry to hear you have been under the weather. I sure hope you all get well soon. I'll be praying for you. God bless.

March 12, 2008 8:53 AM  
Blogger Corry said...

Amy,
Thanks girl! We all are on the way to recovery.

I hope you and yours are doing well.

Blessings and (((HUGS)))

God's Grace.

March 13, 2008 7:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a new blog about life with Rheumatoid Arthritis. It's called arthritisquest.com, please check it out. If I have people's support and more readers, I'll be inspired to beat this incurable disease.

Arthritisquest.com

March 13, 2008 2:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Corry,
You've been tagged! Please see our sight over at down4anap.blogspot.com.

Love,
Elisa

March 15, 2008 4:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the walking on the beach part, that i like. hehe... when God closes a door, He opens a another one. that's so true.

March 17, 2008 5:07 AM  
Blogger Corry said...

ArthritisQuest,
I will definitely visit your site and if this helps any, you have my support and my prayers!

Elisa,
On my way! :-)

Many blessing to y'all.

Pia,
One day, we can walk on the beach together!:-D

Yes, that is true. He will never leave us nor forsake us!

(((HUGS)))

God's Grace.

March 17, 2008 10:56 AM  
Blogger audrey` said...

Dearest Lieve Zus

May I join you and Pia on the beach walk? HeHe!

Pia, Kitty, Jay and I found each other on Facebook =)

Bel had passed her Nov 2007 exam paper. Praise the Lord! Thank you so much for your prayers.

(((HUGS))) Corry dearest =)))
Good Night.

March 19, 2008 6:10 PM  
Blogger audrey` said...

Blessed Easter to you, Lieve Zus, and your loved ones =)

(((HUGS)))

March 20, 2008 8:40 AM  
Blogger Corry said...

Audrey,
Sure you may! The more, the merrier! :-)

I am so grateful Bel passed!!! Praise The Lord!

Congratulations Bel, a job well done. :-D

I wish I could join y'all, but I just don't have the time. Please give all of them my love and a (((HUG))) :-)

Thanks, Lieve Zus!

And a very Blessed Easter to y'all as well.

God's Grace.

March 20, 2008 1:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Corry- KC- and my little buddies a Happy and Blessed Easter with lots of fun !

My big Lit'l Buddy get Oma to show you how to crack an Easter Egg on Opa's head ? If you really want a good laugh sneak into the refrigerator and get a raw one , but I warn you that you might have to go and hide somewhere !

Blessings to all KC'S Family .
grandpaw.

March 21, 2008 8:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grandpaw,
We hope you and yours had a very blessed Easter!

The raw egg think didn't fly. Oma was warned ahead and wouldn't let me near the fridge, since she knows I can and will open it! (This is no joke, I really do that. I guess I know where the goodies are, haha).

Anyways, I did find some colored eggs in the grass, but they were empty!

Have a very blessed day, Grandpaw.

God's Grace.

March 25, 2008 3:57 AM  
Blogger support@helpcure.com said...

This is an Excellent and fantastic blog – Why because It conveys only facts. I have gone through all the posts. I don't know why the blog mater doesn’t update this regularly. Blog need daily updation. Hope that blog master will look to this soon.
I have some own blogs in this subject – on Rheumatoid Arthritis- I shall link this blog from them.
Regarding complete cure of Rheumatoid Arthritis I was simply wondering why we can’t find some thing useful in this direction. Since Rheumatoid Arthritis and its treatment is an important issue or information we need more specific information on this subject. I have found a nice informative guide on Rheumatoid Arthritis from following URL
http://www.helpcure.com/ra
This website will tell you guide How to Cure Rheumatoid Arthritis by Holistic Treatment – Only useful treatment for Rheumatoid Arthritis
Hope for the best

April 01, 2008 4:57 AM  
Blogger support@helpcure.com said...

This is an Excellent and fantastic blog – Why because It conveys only facts. I have gone through all the posts. I don't know why the blog mater doesn’t update this regularly. Blog need daily updation. Hope that blog master will look to this soon.
I have some own blogs in this subject – on Rheumatoid Arthritis- I shall link this blog from them.
Regarding complete cure of Rheumatoid Arthritis I was simply wondering why we can’t find some thing useful in this direction. Since Rheumatoid Arthritis and its treatment is an important issue or information we need more specific information on this subject. I have found a nice informative guide on Rheumatoid Arthritis from following URL
http://www.helpcure.com/ra
This website will tell you guide How to Cure Rheumatoid Arthritis by Holistic Treatment – Only useful treatment for Rheumatoid Arthritis
Hope for the best

April 01, 2008 4:57 AM  

Post a Comment

Copyright © Corryc 2005 - 2014