« Home | Next: Breaking The Bank »
| Next: Geek Squad To The Rescue »
| Next: Open Up »
| Next: Up To Speed »
| Next: How Cool is That?! »
| Next: Friendships and Chronic Conditions »
| Next: Extra Savings For Expecting Moms »
| Next: Currant »
| Next: Live Entertainment »
| Next: Babies and Travel »

RA-Related

Policy

Helpful

Recent

Archives





Site Feed: RSS










Monday, September 28, 2009

Vitamin D

After my check up visit to my Rheumatologist, I got a call from the nurse telling me that I had a severe vitamin D deficiency. Uh oh, I don't let the sun shine down on me enough. Vitamin D also helps to absorb calcium, so the likelihood for soft and broken bones has increased!

This deficiency may often go unnoticed, unless specifically monitored. A severe lack of vitamin D can cause depression, Diabetes Type I, high blood pressure, periodontal disease, bowed limbs, chronic muscle, bone or joint pain which mainly occurs in the back and knees. Other symptoms are low levels of calcium in the blood, chronic fatigue and even tuberculosis.

Most vitamin D comes from sunlight and vitamin D rich foods. The last are mainly fatty fish, eggs and beef liver. Fish oils such as cod liver oil are a good source as well. Most people get too little of this vitamin and it may be a good idea to buy specifically enriched D nutrition like milk, etc.

I am on a Vitamin D boost now: one pill a week for 12 weeks. Hopefully that will clear it up. In the mean time I try to bask in the sun as much and as I long as I can stand it; it is still hot. I better not overdo it either, or I could end up with a sun stroke.

Basking in the sun has to be done with caution. Basking in the Son has no restrictions or limitations. You can never do that enough!

1 John 1:7
But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.

2 Comments:

Blogger audrey` said...

Shall we go for a stroll in the shade? For me to lose weight and for us to get Vitamin D =) HeHe!

September 30, 2009 2:22 AM  
Blogger Corry said...

Audrey,
Ohhh, that sounds wonderful Lieve Zus. I am all for it!

(((HUGS)))

God's Grace.

September 30, 2009 6:16 AM  

Post a Comment

Copyright © Corryc 2005 - 2014