« Home | Next: Happy Occasions! »
| Next: Laus Deo »
| Next: Bless You! »
| Next: "Picker-upper" »
| Next: Life's Many Colors »
| Next: 21... At Last!! »
| Next: Our Daily Bread »
| Next: Recovery »
| Next: Good Night »
| Next: Roots Of Faith »

RA-Related

Policy

Helpful

Recent

Archives





Site Feed: RSS










Saturday, October 28, 2006

Bless You! Part 2

My post on allergies brought forth a comment from Mrs. Zeke, that was highly informative and contained alot of information that definitely is worth knowing!

"Being a person who is allergic to the world, I have taken allergy shots and allergy medication since I was 1 1/2 years old. That's a really really really long time ago. I wish the medicine nasal sprays worked for me but no such luck. However I have been able to cut how much allergy medicine I take from 4 pills a day to 2 by using this method:

Saline nasal spray twice a day in the am and pm. This is important make sure when you use it at night that you will be in an upright position for 1 hour, otherwise you will flood your upper sinus cavity. I also gargle with salt water after I use the nasal spray. What has worked best for me is to lay with a pillow under my neck and do the spray and then sit up.

None of the new medications on the market work for me. I have been using Actifed since it was prescription. Its a bit tougher now to get, since the drugdealers now use it to cut with drugs but its worth the hassle. I am in big trouble if they ever stop making the generics since the brand Actifed is no longer in production. Actifed is part antihistamine and part decongestant but you have to stay away form it if you have heart problems.

A combination of Saline and pills might work for someone else and always try 1/2 a pill first since they tend to do studies on men. Medication works different in women's bodies. Make sure though before you take half, that the pill is scored to allow it, if it is time release you can not do it.

Another thing that might help is hot/warm peppermint tea. The peppermint has a menthol effect also peppermint in the tummy helps loosen mucus that may have gone down the back of ones throat. Which can cause a bit of uncomfortableness and nausea. Chamomile tea helps to dry membranes but be careful. I would not drink chamomile tea for more then 3 or 4 days because although no studies in humans yet, they do know that plants in which chamomile is introduced to help with fungus and such become dependant on it. Meaning if the chamomile is left with the plant for more then 7-10 days and then removed the plant gets sick again much worse and often dies.

Be careful with the use of Soy. I know it is really popular right now but if any of you were given soy based baby formula and spit up or threw it up you might be allergic. It may be why some people react to Asian foods even when no msg is present. Also if you have an allergy to mold look at things like mushrooms and Lima beans or legumes type foods in your diet. Mold is deadly to me and mushrooms and Lima beans trigger the same response just smaller. I think it has something to do with how they are grown.

I know it is uncomfortable but try not to suppress a cough that is ridding your body of mucus unless of course it affects your ability to breath or you need to make a speech or something but in the case of breathing, you need to see a doctor, as that would not be good. Mucus traps bacteria so if you suppress your bodies ability to rid it, you could be setting up for an infection. A nasal triggered cough is a bit different, cough drops are better for that then a dose of cough suppressant. Because that nasty stuff that the saline will let out into your throat needs to come out.

Give yourself some good bacteria to counter. Yogurt is the best way and if you drink milk or use it on cereal try acidophiles milk. The draw back is it seems to go bad sooner don't know why but that with yogurt can really help counter bad bacteria growth.

Move, move, move! I know its hard when we don't feel well, really I do, but movement helps clear the body of mucus created by allergies and illness. I don't mean a work out. Stand up if you can and stretch.

Eat something you like that's spicy that helps drain the sinus cavities, sit in a steamy bathroom you can get a facial too:)

I know not everything works for everyone. I have 2 diseases that cause rampant infections, so I have learned how to help counter the effects allergies. Which create mucus and suppress the immune system. Which brings me to this...

D,E,A,K are dangerous vitamins when taken in volume. They are not water soluble and can build in the body. No person with the exception of people with Cystic Fibrosis and a couple of others should ever need K. If you go outside and eat a yogurt or cheese you should not be low on D unless you have a bone adsorption issue or low iron. I know D is given for Osteoporosis but that is under a doctors care and monitored. E has some great things. It helps our memory and keep are blood running clean. Again though, an excess means deadly consequences. A is toxic in high amounts. Specific diseases may cause a low blood level but A needs to be watched.

B complex is water soluble and a powerful antioxidant. Not only that it helps with iron which helps your immune system. You do not need C to absorb B. C helps you absorb some forms of Iron. B just works. Also C taken in to high amounts can cause allergy symptoms. Its better to eat some pears, oranges and apples. They're free calorie foods and do the same thing. But if you want to take C, 250 mil is enough.

Use caution with herbs stuff like echanatia is wonderful, however it needs a catalyst in the body to truly be absorbed. Many people use Golden seal root for that and that's fine. But be warned long term use of Golden seal can cause liver damage. I would suggest no longer then 2 weeks of Golden Seal if that's what you use.

Anyway I am done with my novel :P When your life depends on controlling your allergies you learn stuff you never thought you would :)"

Thank you so much for sharing, Mrs. Zeke. I have no doubt this might be very helpful to many. God bless you!

Ecclesiastes 4:9
Two are better than one, Because they have a good reward for their labor.

5 Comments:

Blogger jel said...

Morning!

Have a great day!
God Bless

October 30, 2006 6:19 AM  
Blogger Corry said...

Jel,
Goooodmorning, well rather good-afternoon! I am late today, haha.

Thank you and I hope you have a blessed, joyful day yourself.:-)

God's Grace.

October 30, 2006 3:22 PM  
Blogger audrey` said...

WOW!
Mrs Zeke has a very big heart =)

Take care, Corry lieve zus.

October 31, 2006 3:57 AM  
Blogger Mrs Zeke said...

Corry I really hope this helps someone. There is much more I don't know then what I do know.
Kinda red faced you posted it but I hope in the least it helped you.

audrey, some may argue that observation as of late :) I just hope big or not it's a heart God see's as good otherwise I have gained nothing of value.

Take care sisters we need each other and we always will.

November 01, 2006 6:20 PM  
Blogger Corry said...

Audrey,
I agree! :-)

Have a wonderful and blessed day, lieve zus.

Mrs. Zeke,
We will never know everthing in this life, but we all have a little part of the truth and by sharing we get to know a little bit more :-)

I don't have seasonal allergies myself, but I know many do. I hope this helped some. And as for your big heart, anyone claiming otherwise is not seeing clearly :-)

Remember you are loved, dear sister!

God's Grace.

November 02, 2006 4:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Copyright © Corryc 2005 - 2014