« Home | Next: Redneck Lifestyle »
| Next: A Blessed and Happy Easter! »
| Next: Outdoor Fun With Grandkids »
| Next: Have Fun! »
| Next: A Laugh A Day »
| Next: Uh Oh »
| Next: Hey You Guys!! »
| Next: Hectic Was A Breeze! »
| Next: Our Second Grandson Arrived! »
| Next: Not Much Longer »

RA-Related

Policy

Helpful

Recent

Archives





Site Feed: RSS










Friday, April 11, 2008

What's For Supper?

When you suffer from Rheumatoid Arthritis or any other related Arthritis disease, you can relate to this:
Your knees are killing you. Your fingers are stiff and anything you try to hold, hurts. Your wrists are so inflamed, every movement makes you want to scream. But... you have to eat and prepare a meal.

Been there, done that! I pushed myself through the pain and became resourceful in finding ways to make cooking easier. Here are some very useful tips complemented with my own findings:

Batch cook.
Prepare two chicken breasts at a time and refrigerate the leftovers to use in salads or sandwiches the next day.
You can also prepare more, put them in good freezer bags and freeze them. All you have to do is take them out and heat them in the micro-wave. It is super-easy and still as delicious as when you prepared it. Keep in mind though not to keep prepared meat in the freezer longer then about 4 months. After that it looses it's flavor.

Consider convenience.
Try frozen, pre-cut vegetables and fruits.
In spite of the common believe, frozen vegetables and fruits are just as healthy and rich in vitamins and nutrition as fresh!

Stock the crock.

Place meat or poultry, pre-sliced vegetables, spices and liquid in a crock pot, turn it on and hours later, enjoy a hot, cooked meal – and only one pot to wash.
You can also use a pressure cooker to reduce the time of preparing a meal.

Nuke it.

Microwaving can heat frozen vegetables or leftovers quickly, without adding fats or depleting nutrients. Using a micro­wave oven on the counter top eliminates stretching or stooping to cook.
Microwaving is a good alternative to heating up food. Experience has taught me though, that it cools of quicker and heating larger portions still take quite some time. Try placing food on the plate, heat and eat.

Grip with ease.

Use kitchen or cooking utensils with padded handles or grips.
If you don't have those, buy some cheap round foam insulation material. It already has a hole in the middle and slides over the utensils. Even over a knife and fork. It makes gripping and holding the utensils so much easier and less painful. I know, because I did it! :-) You can even put a piece in your purse or pocket to take with you and use in restaurants or anywhere else.

Belly up to the bar.
Instead of standing at your counter or stovetop, pull up a high barstool and sit down to chop, mix or stir.
It helps and if you don't have much space to put a stool, try one of those folding barstools. They take up less space and are light weight.
~Arthritis Foundation.

I hope these tips were of some help and if you have some of your own, I am eager to hear them! :-)

Even though it is very painful at times, you just have to push through it. It is better for staying mobile and it increases your pain-level. No, it's not easy, but in the end it will get better.

Not only physically we are challenged. We may go through lots of trials. They may be painful and difficult. Our faith is tried, but we push through it and not only do we come out stronger, things have turned out for the best!

Revelation 2:10
Do not fear any of those things which you are about to suffer. Indeed, the devil is about to throw some of you into prison, that you may be tested, and you will have tribulation ten days. Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Corry,

Many of them ideas I've allready adopted ? When you finally find a solution to a problem and it works then you get a little encouragement to try something else ? Thanks for these ideas !
Just the other day I felt bad because I had to ask my step daughter to open a stubborn bottle of aleve ? I got so mad I started to throw it on the floor and stomp on it ? That don't happen everyday and I'm glad it don't ?

Blessings.
grandpaw.

April 11, 2008 9:22 PM  
Blogger Corry said...

Grandpaw,
Been there, done that. Not with a bottle of aleve, but with a soda bottle. I couldn't get it to open, got so mad and started banging it on the counter. Thank The Lord it was plastic! That's when I got a few little gadgets that opened bottles and jars! But I can so imagine how you felt.

I hope you are doing well and have a very blessed and joyful weekend!

God's Grace.

April 13, 2008 6:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Corry -

I don't have your health problems, but think that your post is helpful, anyway.

I hope that you are doing well. I miss your comments over at Finding Direction, girl! Drop by when you have time.

Cheers & Blessings to you all today!

Much love,

Dee

April 13, 2008 7:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was searching around and just found your blog - what amazing articles you have posted. I love your 4/1/08 post! As for cooking, I do quick and easy but prefer to let my husband handle dinner whenever he's willing, even without RA I can't compete with his cooking!

I read the comment above about stomping on the bottle of aleve, I'm going to remember that one because if my husband hadn't been home this morning I would have been completely out of luck to get my medicine out of their confines. I may not be able to stomp with my feet being swollen up, but I bet I could find something to smash the bottle open in the garage! Actually, that is sounding dangerous!

April 14, 2008 9:24 PM  
Blogger Corry said...

Dee,
I apologise for not having been over. I have been so busy for weeks that my own stuff got by the wayside. I am trying to catch up the things that have gone lacking and between that and work, there is just not enough time in the day.

I am making progress though, slowly but surely and will catch up with you as soon as I can.

I hope you are doing much better and have remembered you in my prayers.

Have a very blessed day!

Jennie,
Thanks for visiting and for your comment.:-)

I am sorry to hear you have RA. I hope Humira will help you as well as it did me. I am totally pain free and inspite of my deformed hands, I can do almost anything.

You may want to take a look at the arthritis gadgets. The link is in my sidebar. There might be some helpful trinkets there to open bottles and jars. I suspect they are safer than anything you would find in the garage, haha.

I may do a research on finding easy to open bottles and gadgets, as soon as I have some time. I think we all could benefit from those. Even when you don't have arthritis.

Have a very blessed day and I hope to see you here again. :-)

God's Grace.

April 15, 2008 9:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi sis!


huggs

April 15, 2008 1:26 PM  
Blogger Corry said...

Janice!!

(((HUGS)))
I hope you are doing well. Have a blessed day, dear sis!

God's Grace.

April 16, 2008 5:39 AM  
Blogger audrey` said...

Dearest Lieve Zus

There is a little surprise for you on my blog.
You're valued, Corry =)

April 16, 2008 8:17 AM  
Blogger Corry said...

Audrey,
Thanks, Lieve Zus, I will try to get there asap! :-)

(((HUGS)))

God's Grace.

April 17, 2008 5:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

we just have to keep on keeping on. trials are just temporary.

April 20, 2008 6:41 AM  
Blogger Corry said...

Pia,
So true and they can only make us stronger!

love ya! :-)

(((HUGS)))

God's Grace.

April 22, 2008 7:51 AM  

Post a Comment

Copyright © Corryc 2005 - 2014