This vegetable can be bought year round in the stores. It may be interesting to know if, how, what, and why, Zucchini might contribute to our health.
Zucchini is a popular summer squash that can be eaten raw or cooked. One cup (113g) of raw zucchini has just 18 calories and provides an excellent source of vitamin C, a good source of vitamin B6, and a significant quantity of the antioxidant carotenoids lutein and zeaxanthin.
A Harvard study of over 77,000 nurses reported that women over age 45 who got the most lutein and zeaxanthin through their diets had 22% fewer cataract surgeries.
~Source: Dole Food Facts.
Some other health benefits contributed to Zucchini are:
- Zucchini is supposed to cure asthma due to its anti-inflammatory properties.
- Eating zucchini on a regular basis effectively lowers high homocysteine levels and can prevent colon cancer, heart disease and related conditions, and high cholesterol.
- It can help preventing the risk of having multiple sclerosis (MS).
- Zucchini contains useful amounts of folate, potassium, vitamin A, and is a good source of magnesium and phosphorus.
- Eating zucchini is known to help the body in supporting the arrangement of capillaries.
There are many culinary uses for Zucchini and lots of recipes can be found online. Make sure when purchasing this veggie to look for the ones which are small, firm, slender, smooth, with a bright color skin, and preferably still have the flowers attached; these are signs of a fresh fruit.
Zucchini should be handled with care; even the smallest damage can lead to fast decay. It is best to store it unwashed in a plastic bag in the refrigerator, where it will keep for about a week. You can freeze it too which will make the flesh much softer; just blanch slices for two minutes before freezing it.
Growing Zucchini is pretty easy and it almost always guarantees a good, plentiful crop. This benefits both your wallet and your health: it stretches your budget and assists you in maintaining a wholesome diet.
Growing faith may not always be easy; it requires work on our part, but it does guarantee abundant blessings and happiness. This benefits both the present and the future: it stretches our lives from this earthly life in to eternal life.
You crown the year with Your goodness, And Your paths drip with abundance.