« Home | Next: Kicking Fatigue To The Curb »
| Next: Polyphenols »
| Next: A Need for Moving Boxes »
| Next: Exercise and Muscle Supplements »
| Next: Fiber »
| Next: Whipping myself into shape during 2011 »
| Next: Echinacea »
| Next: Flood and Fire »
| Next: Happy New Year! »
| Next: Merry Christmas! »

RA-Related

Policy

Helpful

Recent

Archives





Site Feed: RSS










Sunday, January 23, 2011

Shingles

Ouch, I came down with a case of the Shingles and it is not only painful, but extremely aggravating as well, because it itches like crazy.

Shingles is a rash which is caused by the same virus that causes chickenpox. Everyone who ever had the chickenpox can be a potential victim of Shingles, because the virus can remain in roots of certain nerves and become active again years and years later.

I learned that one out of two persons will develop Shingles and especially people in the age category of 50 years and older and those with a weak immune system are much more at risk of getting them.

Symptoms and course of the rash are the following:
A burning, itching, or tingling sensation will occur in the area where the rash will appear. Within a few days later, a blistering rash appears on the skin on one side of your body, which is typical for Shingles.

The rash can last for up to 30 days and the pain will diminish as it heals. I can not tell you how much I am looking forward to that. It is all over my neck and ear on the side I like to sleep on. Yeah, no sleep for the weary. :-)

Shingles are not without risks; complications can lead to scars, bacterial skin infections, decrease or loss of vision or hearing, paralysis on one side of the face, muscle weakness, Allodynia (pain from a source that would not normally cause pain, like a slight breeze, or the touch of clothes) and postherpetic neuralgia (PHN).

The latter is a long-term nerve pain Long-term nerve pain and is most common. It can range from tenderness of the skin to a burning, throbbing, shooting, or stabbing pain, and even though it can be treated with medications, it is rather complicated.

Shingles sure can take it out on you. I am used to and can cope with the pain, but the sleeplessness and the itching are the killers. Shingles are not contagious when you already had the chickenpox, but stay clear from babies and young children; they can end up with the chickenpox.

Oh well, God will not put more on us then we can bear and this too shall pass. Everything happens for a reason and I know He hears my prayers for a quick healing. It will happen; in His time and according to His will! :-)

Jeremiah 17:14
Heal me, O LORD, and I shall be healed; Save me, and I shall be saved, For You are my praise.

2 Comments:

Blogger jel said...

sorry to hear that u got them,
I had them once , no fun!!!

doc give me b~12 shots
hope ya feel better soon!!!!!!!

huggs,

January 27, 2011 7:34 PM  
Blogger Corry said...

Janice,
Nope; no fun at all, but the doc gave me some pills and it is getting better. Thank God!

(((HUGS)))

God's Grace.

January 28, 2011 2:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Copyright © Corryc 2005 - 2014