« Home | Next: His Provision »
| Next: Dutch Sayings II »
| Next: Inspiring »
| Next: Statistics »
| Next: In Love And Hate part II »
| Next: In Love And Hate »
| Next: Dutch Sayings »
| Next: Spectacular »
| Next: Anguish »
| Next: Legion »

RA-Related

Policy

Helpful

Recent

Archives





Site Feed: RSS










Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Confusing Cultural Differences

Some things are very difficult to get used to, especially when you grew up with the total opposite for about 44 years. Small things, but oh boy, they can really mess up everything!

I was looking at a date this morning and it occurred to me how I constantly have to remind myself that the first number is the month and the next one is the day. In the Netherlands it's exactly the other way around: Day, Month, Year. So today would be 21-03-06 instead of 03/21/06. In the beginning I would think to myself: "There is no 21st month. That must be an error", immediately followed by the realization that it's written the other way around here! Uh oh, gotta keep that in mind before I totally mess up appointments!

Another thing is numbers. 47 here is pronounced forty-seven (which makes good sense) but Dutch says seven and forty. The last number is said first when it concerns the last two digits. I made so many mistakes transposing numbers in the beginning, that Kc thought I was dyslexic, haha. It's getting better although I still prefer numbers from 0-20, no mistake-opportunities there, hehe.

And this would be the killer of all! Writing dollar amounts! If something would cost 2 dollars and 95 cents, it's written $ 2.95 while in the Netherlands it would be written like this $ 2,95 (can't find the euro sign, but you get the point. Or is it comma??). See the difference in the use of the comma and the point/period? When it goes into the thousands, it's exactly the other way around $ 1,000.95 here, and $1.000,95 in Dutch. I better let Kc write the checks, hehe. Might save us some grief!

What seems so normal to some, may seem backwards to others. It's the way we have learned to do things, habits or, in most cases, where we decided to place our values. God's way goes so against our nature that we have to constantly remind ourselves that we are the ones who have it backwards:-)

Romans 7:21-25
21 I find then a law, that evil is present with me, the one who wills to do good. 22 For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man. 23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. 24 O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? 25 I thank God—through Jesus Christ our Lord!

13 Comments:

Blogger Corry said...

Jayne:

Hi Jayne!:-)
Bye Jayne!:-(

Hahaha, bubblers and tyme machines!
I can't help but think there is alot God smiles or laughs about watching us. One day we will know:-)

God's Grace.

March 21, 2006 12:57 PM  
Blogger audrey` said...

These are humourous and informative cultural differences :)

Thanks for the laughter, zus =D

March 22, 2006 5:14 AM  
Blogger Corry said...

Jayne:

Oh please don't get me wrong, I did believe you, it sounded funny though. I already had figured out the bubbler not the Tyme machine though. I can't wait for you to show us both. Now that idea makes me "too excited to sleep", hehe. 44 days???:-)

May God bless you with refreshing sleep and sweet dreams.

God's Grace.

March 22, 2006 5:15 AM  
Blogger Corry said...

Audrey:

It's funny as long as I don't make the mistakes, hehe.
I guess it would be the same as being used to driving on the left side and then all of a sudden had to switch to driving on the right side. I am grateful that's not a problem I would have to face:-)

Graag gedaan, zus, hehe.

God's Grace.

March 22, 2006 5:26 AM  
Blogger Kristi B. said...

That's interesting. It's similar to me never being able to get used to my army friends giving the time. "Oh six hundred hours." I'm like, "What in the world does that mean?" ha ha.

March 22, 2006 12:48 PM  
Blogger Patty said...

Great little story, we forget what is so common to us might be confusing to others. Hope you're well. Thanks for your visits. Have a good day.
Patty

March 22, 2006 1:12 PM  
Blogger Corry said...

Kristi:

And that's something I wouldn't have a problem with. Most European countries use the 24-hour clocksystem.

Patty:

Thanks for the visit and the comment. I hope y'all are doing well too:-)

Just imagine, I would go to an appointment on the wrong date, get a speeding ticket for transposing the speed-limit and overpay! haha.
Have a blessed day.

God's Grace.

March 22, 2006 4:05 PM  
Blogger Seeker said...

The date and money thing reminds me of Brazil. Also, when writing a check there, you write the dollar amount on the first line and the person's name on the second line. I had to re-write quite a few checks when we first moved back to the States....

March 23, 2006 9:38 AM  
Blogger Corry said...

Karen:

Yes, that's another thing that is different and I would have to be aware of.

Wow, Brazil. How long did you live there and, forgive my boldness, why?
Your comment aroused our interest but you are under no obligation to answer, no offense taken:-)

God's Grace.

March 23, 2006 10:59 AM  
Blogger An Ordinary Christian said...

I was thinking this morning how God has us each in different situations. Like He may be teaching me how not to "work" so hard and how to trust Him for my schedule while at the same time teaching my brother how to "work" more and prepare more of a schedule. With my 4 kids, each is learning different things at the hand of God. I appreciate you, Corry.

March 23, 2006 11:41 AM  
Blogger Corry said...

Andrea:

I am so glad you got some "you"-time:-)

I was taking this in consideration as well:
Romans 12:4-5
For as we have many members in one body, but all the members do not have the same function, 5 so we, being many, are one body in Christ, and individually members of one another.


We all have different abilities and it may take some time to know what they are and where and how we fit into the body of Christ. But God will show us, if we let Him:-)
God bless y'all.

God's Grace.

March 23, 2006 12:29 PM  
Blogger audrey` said...

Goede morgen, lieve zus :)

God zegen je!

March 24, 2006 6:59 AM  
Blogger Corry said...

Audrey:

Jippie(Dutch for Yippie, hehe)!!
Mijn (my) zus spreekt (speaks) Nederlands (Dutch)!

Mag (may) God je (you) rijkelijk (richly) zegenen (bless).

God's Grace.

March 24, 2006 8:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Copyright © Corryc 2005 - 2014