« Home | Next: Critter's Cooings »
| Next: The Money-Pit »
| Next: The Message »
| Next: Picking My Brain »
| Next: The Light »
| Next: Banana Boost »
| Next: Fruit »
| Next: Happy Easter! »
| Next: A Smile For You! »
| Next: Is There A Doctor In The House? »

RA-Related

Policy

Helpful

Recent

Archives





Site Feed: RSS










Friday, May 18, 2007

Taking The Heat?

I love to feel the sun on my face and I know sunlight also is good for providing the body with some vitamins it needs. I had no clue about this though:

"Sun Damage
The sun’s effects may reach through skin and ‘punish’ the immune system.
For years we’ve been warned that too much sun exposure increases the risk of skin cancer and can turn the soft, supple skin of youth into a weathered and leathered topography.
But now it turns out the sun’s dangers are more than skin deep. The sun’s rays – particularly deep-penetrating ultraviolet-A (UVA) rays – can damage the DNA within the nuclei of the body’s cells, inhibiting their ability to control how and when cells grow and divide. While the most obvious threat is skin damage, the sun’s rays also can wreak havoc for many people with lupus, as well as those taking certain arthritis medications. And recent research has connected UV radiation with the development of cancer of lymphoid tissues, including Hodgkin’s disease, non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma and leukemia.

No one understands what, specifically, the UVA rays do to immune system cells in people with lupus, but a large percentage of people with lupus have problems with the sun (Robert Brodell, MD, professor of medicine in the dermatology section at Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine in Rootstown). Problems can range from an immediate redness, burning and stinging of the skin to a systemic flare of the disease, characterized by inflammation of the joints, blood vessels and internal organs.

People with scleroderma, too, can be affected by sun exposure. While they don’t have the same blistering or flares associated with lupus, the sun can cause further damage to skin already hardened and damaged by the disease (Frederick Wigley, MD, director of the Johns Hopkins Scleroderma Center in Baltimore). Also, some people with scleroderma have hyperpigmentation of the skin that is made worse by sun exposure.

Several medications that people take for those and other inflammatory diseases, including rheumatoid arthritis (RA), can also cause sun sensitivity and lead to problems such as skin rash or rapid burning. Some of the most common culprits are nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) and some disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs (DMARDs), including hydroxychloroquine (Plaquenil), methotrexate and sulfasalazine (Azulfidine). Tetracycline antibiotics, some antidepressants and diuretics can cause sun sensitivity too. Minimizing sun effects – as well as reducing risks of cancers – means protecting your skin from harmful rays.

Fluorescent Light Dangers
The sun isn’t the only light source that gives off ultraviolet-A (UVA) rays. Most people don’t know that fluorescent bulbs do too. For people with lupus who are extremely sensitive to UVA rays, the rays given off by fluorescent lights may cause a burn or trigger a flare. If you have fluorescent lights in your home, replace them. If you work in an office with fluorescent lighting, be sure to wear sunscreen to work. Ask to have the bulbs in your immediate work area removed – or simply keep them turned off, if possible – and use an incandescent desk lamp instead."
~ Mary Anne Dunkin. Arthritis Foundation July-August 2005.

OK, that does it for me. I think I will stick with a "milky-white"-complexion, rather than taking this risk, since I am also on plaquenil and methotrexate. I will forgo basking in the brightness of the sun and concentrate more on basking in the brightness of The Son! :-)

Isaiah 60:19
“ The sun shall no longer be your light by day, Nor for brightness shall the moon give light to you; But the LORD will be to you an everlasting light, And your God your glory.


Page 1 of 2.

28 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Corry, Thank you so much for this information. I had not heard of this either. I am going to be much more careful with the boys also. Hey, I'm milky white too. Maybe we could start a club. lol. Blessings to you! :)

May 18, 2007 9:49 AM  
Blogger Corry said...

Amy,
I like that club-idea. Maybe we can call it the PALE-ettes, haha.

Yes, please be careful with the boys as well, a good sunscreen should go long ways.

Have a very blessed weekend.

God's Grace.

May 18, 2007 11:13 AM  
Blogger Missy said...

Thanks, Corry, for this info. My Dad has been suffering from sun sensitivity this last year, with no real diagnosis yet. He's a landscaper by trade - he hates this! Maybe we should check his meds?

Have a peaceful and lovely weekend!

May 18, 2007 9:21 PM  
Blogger Refreshment in Refuge said...

Hey, sister/friend! Just checking in with you.

I decided a long time ago that I did not want leather for skin, so I quit the tanning thing and I like my milky-white skin very much, thank you :)

My dad had many, many skin cancer spots removed. I'll not take that chance, either.

May 18, 2007 10:19 PM  
Blogger Corry said...

Missy,
You are most welcome.
That must be difficult for your Dad, with his job. It's a good idea to check your Dad's meds. They might be the cause of the problem and if so, maybe he can ask the doctor for a different brand?

Have a great and blessed weekend as well. :-)

Gina,
Good to see you and thanks for checking in. :-)

My mom was diagnosed with skin-cancer a couple of years back and had several spots removed. It was not too bad, Praise The Lord, but it sure makes you think, huh?

Many blessings to you, dear sis. Have a great weekend! :-)

God's Grace.

May 19, 2007 4:17 AM  
Blogger audrey` said...

Dearest Lieve Zus Corry

Thank you so much for your prayers, care and concern for my child, Bel.
We're very grateful =)

(((HUGS)))

May 19, 2007 6:53 AM  
Blogger audrey` said...

Corry Dearest

Your hubby surprised us by posting our prayer request on his blog. We're so touched by your love.

Thank you very much, lieve zus =)))

May 19, 2007 7:12 AM  
Blogger Corry said...

Audrey,
We try to help where we can and had we lived close by, we would have been there. But...since that's not the case, we do the least, but most powerful we can do: Pray! :-)
I haven't been by your blog yet, but how is Bel doing? And your brother? And how about you? Yep, alot of questions, but they are asked out of care and love. :-)

Have a wonderful, blessed weekend, lieve zus!

(((HUGS)))

God's Grace.

May 19, 2007 8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Corry I have had trouble with sun rays also but that was due to 3 minor heat strokes from working in sun ? Once you have a heat stroke Drs. say that you will most likely have trouble the rest of your life? My problems that affected me is that after about 6 to 7 hours my body would just about shutdown completely and then you have to get out of sun and cool completely down usually the rest of day ? Missy I hope that is not your Dads problem ? Blessings. Ron.

May 19, 2007 8:59 AM  
Blogger Corry said...

Ron,
I didn't know that after having a heat stroke, it would give you problems for the rest of your life. Wow, we will heed that warning! Thanks for sharing.
I don't think it's healthy to be out in the sun for so long, but I guess if your job is outside, you prolly have to.

Missy, Ron may have a point here?

God bless you!

God's Grace.

May 19, 2007 12:46 PM  
Blogger jel said...

ya know that is really somthing , what is wrong for somepeople, somepeople need, I need the sun,and I use a Fluorescent lights
it helps me, with my depression, esp in the winter, when the sun don't shine for a long time!

well anyway ,
just came by to hi and huggs

May 20, 2007 2:21 PM  
Blogger M. C. Pearson said...

I love watching all the Jane Austin movies and seeing the milky-white look. Tan is pretty but that natural state is so gorgeous. I also love the natural tan of Hispanics and the lustrous coffee color of African. God created such a lovely array.

May 20, 2007 10:32 PM  
Blogger Missy said...

Ron and Corry, I am so tickled you guys are thinking of my Dad! His condition affects his skin, so I am pretty sure it's not heat stroke. Heat and sunlight make him break out in a painful rash. He's been "diagnosed" numerous times, but the treatments fail and he is re-diagnosed. It does not appear cancerous or biological, most likely reactionary or possibly genetic.

And here I am like Janice, needing the sun. I get depressed every time it hides behind a cloud it seems!

May 21, 2007 7:10 AM  
Blogger Corry said...

Janice,
I am so sorry you have this condition. I saw a documentairy about it a long time ago and I know how seriously it can affect your life. May God bless you with lots of sunshine, dear sister. Literally and figuratively! :-)

Thanks for the hugs and many (((HUGS))) back to you.

Marianne,
Did you know that the milky-white look used to be an expression of wealth? In earlier days, only the working class (poor people) were tanned from having to work outside in the sun and the upper-class were pale, because they didn't have to work. Seems quite different from these days, huh? Almost like it turned around, haha.

Have a very blessed vacation!

God's Grace.

May 21, 2007 7:19 AM  
Blogger Corry said...

Missy,
It really sounds like an allergic reaction your Dad has. I hope they find something to cure him or that might help him.

May you have lots of sunshine today!

God's Grace.

May 21, 2007 7:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Missy like Corry I do wish that they could find out whats wrong ? About 20 years ago I had a similar reaction like that because of clothes dertengent and bath soap ? I changed clothes detergent and that didn't cure it . Then they told me to change bath soap and that didn't completely work then they told me to change my hair shampoo and with changeing all three I finally got relief but they couldn't tell which one caused the most reaction . Blessing. Ron.

May 21, 2007 8:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Corry -

Thanks for all of the important info about the sun and it's bad effects. Luckily for us southern girls, the old-timey look for southern belles WAS milky white skin.

That's definitely me, these days, but my skin is milky white from too many hours in front of this computer and monitor!

Cheers & Blessings to you all today! Dee

(of Finding Direction: The Wind Vane Chronicles)

May 21, 2007 8:39 AM  
Blogger Corry said...

Ron,
I get a rash from fabric-softener as well, so I stopped using it. That worked!

Many blessings to you today!

Dee,
Maybe, when your house is finished, you can take your pc and set it up on the patio?! That way you can have the best of both (not too long in the sun though!). grin.

Have a blessed day.

God's Grace.

May 22, 2007 6:38 AM  
Blogger Kitty Cheng said...

It's important to put sunscreen on when going under the sun.

May 22, 2007 9:42 AM  
Blogger Corry said...

Kitty,
Yes it is and the higher the UV-filter, the better!

How are you doing, girl? Many blessings, dear sister.

God's Grace.

May 22, 2007 10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Corry, I like that the pale-ettes. Sorry didn't get back to you sooner. We left for my nephew's graduation friday afternoon then Gordon and I spent the rest of the weekend with food poisioning. (Bad fish, I think.) Any way I am finally up and running. Well, maybe more like walking slowly. Blessings!

May 22, 2007 1:46 PM  
Blogger Vicki said...

You are so right about all this. Since hubby had his melanoma surgery several months ago, neither of care much for being in the sun. But hey, the SON is good for all of us, and keeps us from burning....

Sending love & hugs,
Vicki

May 22, 2007 8:03 PM  
Blogger Corry said...

Amy,
I am so sorry you both got sick. I hope you are doing allright? Don't worry about not getting back to me sooner. Just make sure you get well, I rather have that before anything. :-)
Congrats on your nephew! :-)

Have a healthy and blessed day, dear sister.

Vicky,
I hope your husband is doing well, these days. I need to catch up with you!

And I so agree with you, The Son is good for us!!! :-D

May 23, 2007 6:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i never liked staying under the sun so that's not a problem for me, but this is good info.

May 25, 2007 1:08 AM  
Blogger audrey` said...

We're so very blessed to know you and KC. Thank you so much for your friendship.

Bel, my brother and I are doing fine. Bel had returned to college, Brother is still on medical leave til 09 June. Me! I had been walking under the rain. HeHe!

(((HUGS))) and much love!!!

May 26, 2007 1:36 AM  
Blogger Corry said...

Pia,
I am glad I found it. I had no clue either.

Luv ya :-)

Audrey,
We are so grateful to hear y'all are fine! Praise The Lord!!

(((HUGS))) lieve zus. :-D

God's Grace.

May 26, 2007 2:37 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

Corry, good info! I tend not to bask in the sun too much. Up here in the NW we don't get too much sun, so it's not really a problem! But it is hard to resist the sun when it does come out, so I try to use sunscreen! I'm glad that pale white skin is more in fashion now!!! :-) Blessings, Angela

June 03, 2007 11:19 PM  
Blogger Corry said...

Angela,
I can imagine you like to take advantage of the sun, when you don't get that much of it. You can have plenty of ours. Sometimes it's way too much!
I think it's wise of you to use sunscreen. Better be safe then sorry! :-)

Blessings to you and yours!

God's Grace.

June 04, 2007 7:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Copyright © Corryc 2005 - 2014