« Home | Next: 5 Years Of Blogging »
| Next: Happy Easter! »
| Next: Coffee: Good or Bad?? »
| Next: Save And Earn »
| Next: Critter's Cooings VIII »
| Next: Hidden Treasures »
| Next: Touching »
| Next: Being Healthy, Staying Healthy »
| Next: God Said.... »
| Next: Home Buying Tax Credit: Don't Pass It Up! »

RA-Related

Policy

Helpful

Recent

Archives





Site Feed: RSS










Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Jotting Down Cooking Tips

I hope all of you had a great, wonderful and happy Easter. We sure did and were so fortunate to please our taste buds with two Easter dinners; one at my stepfather in law's house and one at ours.

My stepfather in law had wanted to serve dinner on Sunday, but the majority of the people he had invited could not make it, so he held in on Saturday. He is a great cook and the food was just fantastic, as always.

Ham with pineapple, lamb, squash and sweet potato casserole and I don't know what else he all prepared; one dish just as delicious as the other one. He goes by his own recipes and is rather stingy when it comes to sharing them.

No, he does not like to give away the farm. I was blessed to get the recipe for his pecan pie, but even then he kept behind one of his little secrets. Even though I am not a great cook, I figured out myself what was missing.

While enjoying his dinner, everyone complimented and thanked him for another exquisite meal and my husband suggested out loud that I might want to ask the recipe for the ham. That turned in to a little joke at the expense of the cook.

The joke was this: 'Stepfather does not share his recipes, he always leaves something out. You listen to him carefully whenever he talks about cooking and write down the Cooking Tips he lets slip. Eventually, you will end up with the entire recipe'.

Everyone laughed, but it is true. The first time I baked the pecan pie according to his notes it came out all soft and soggy. I figured out to baste the crust with egg white and bake it for a few minutes before putting the filling on.

When I told him I had baked a pecan pie, he asked me if I did this and this and added such and such. Yep, that's what the recipe said to do. Then he let out his little secret by asking me if I had basted the crust with egg white and baked it before use.

I laughed and told him that was not in the recipe and my first pie was nothing like his, but I already figured out what was missing. Then he gave me the entire scoop on how long to bake it, what temperature and how to protect the crust from burning.

Yeah, I should jot down all those cooking tips he sporadically mentions. It may take a while, but eventually I will end up with the recipe. :-)

2 Comments:

Blogger audrey` said...

HaHa! He treasures his recipes close to his heart. Just enjoy the delicious dishes prepared by him with love and joy =)

May 03, 2010 1:55 AM  
Blogger Corry said...

Audrey,
Oh, don't worry; I will, hehe!

(((HUGS)))

God's Grace.

May 03, 2010 8:06 AM  

Post a Comment

Copyright © Corryc 2005 - 2014