« Home | Next: Ask, And It Will Be Given »
| Next: Typical Female? »
| Next: His Arms »
| Next: Heed The Warning »
| Next: Birthday »
| Next: Bible Study 2006 »
| Next: Word For 2006 »
| Next: Happy 2006 »
| Next: Almost A Century »
| Next: My Christmas List »

RA-Related

Policy

Helpful

Recent

Archives





Site Feed: RSS










Saturday, January 21, 2006

Good News

New Biologic Drugs for Rheumatoid Arthritis:

  • On December 23, 2005, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved abatacept Orencia®), the first in a new class of biologic agents called co-stimulation modulators, for the treatment of moderate-to-severe RA. Abatacept blocks the activation of T-cells, which play a key role in the development of RA. In clinical trials, abatacept was found to reduce signs and symptoms, induce major clinical response, slow the progression of structural damage and improve physical function in adult patients with moderately to severely active RA.

  • Rituximab is currently FDA-approved for CD20-positive, B-cell non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, and is under consideration by the FDA for use in RA. Rituximab selectively targets immune cells called B-cells, which are similarly involved in RA. In 2005, researchers presented new findings on the effects of rituximab plus methotrexate in patients with rheumatoid arthritis who have experienced an inadequate response to one or more anti-TNF therapies. In this study, also known as REFLEX, rituximab was shown to be well tolerated and highly effective (American College of Rheumatology Annual Scientific Meeting, November 2005).
In the Year Ahead: FDA approval of Orencia® brings a new treatment option for RA patients, and the agency’s decision on rituximab is expected in the first quarter of 2006. With these advances, patients with RA will have access to additional biologic drugs that relieve disease symptoms, limit and prevent joint damage, and reduce the risk of disability.
~Arthritis Foundation.


Praise The Lord!

Proverbs 25:25
As cold water to a weary soul, So is good news from a far country.

18 Comments:

Blogger Vicki said...

Hi Corry! Your site is so pretty...love your header! Thanks for always stopping by my blog---it blesses me when you do. I know I don't always make it around to all my friends' blogs daily, but I do pray for you. I've been working on some freelance stuff that keeps my mental wheels churning, but all this sitting is bad on the hip joints:-)

Have a good weekend, my friend, and God bless you.

January 21, 2006 5:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for this post about the new medications. I'll have to pass this along to my son as he goes to the Rheumatologist.

Hope you are doing well. I appreciate you!

January 21, 2006 7:45 PM  
Blogger Corry said...

Vicki:

Thanks for the compliment about my site and thank you so much for your prayers:-)
I am honored and grateful for your visit and comment, especially now that you are so busy. I have you in my prayers as well and I hope you are doing better.
God bless you, dear sister and have a great weekend as well.

Dee:

I hope it's helpful but I pray it's not needed!

Thanks Dee, the appreciation is mutual:-)
Have a blessed weekend.

God's Grace.

January 21, 2006 9:19 PM  
Blogger Kitty Cheng said...

This is great news! Hallelujah!

January 22, 2006 12:15 AM  
Blogger Corry said...

Kitty:

Yes!!! I rejoyce with you:-)
But there was more good news and not just for RA-sufferers. Here is the rest of the list:

1: New biologic drugs for rheumatoid arthritis
2: First new drug for gout in 40 years
3: Historic Medicare program expansion
4: Lifestyle choices reduce pain and improve function 5: Improvements in osteoporosis patient compliance and quality of life
6: New drug for lupus nephritis; safety of oral contraceptives in lupus
7: Evidence-based treatment recommendations for juvenile arthritis
8: Greater understanding of arthritis drug risks
9: Osteoporosis drug delays osteo-arthritis joint destruction
10: Discovery of key regulator of auto-immunity

If you click on the link at the end of the post, you can read up on any of the subjects mentioned above.

May God continue to bless!

God's Grace.

January 22, 2006 4:05 AM  
Blogger audrey` said...

WOW!
To God be the glory!
Jesus is using doctors and researchers to heal our ailments.

January 22, 2006 4:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank God for all of them especially #10. Praise God!

God bless.

January 22, 2006 10:03 PM  
Blogger Curious Servant said...

That is good.

January 23, 2006 7:07 PM  
Blogger Lenise said...

You've got our tiny boy hiccuping, though I'm not sure if it's from joy or fear ;) Don't worry, little one, I won't be on any new drugs until you are birthed and weaned!!

January 23, 2006 9:53 PM  
Blogger Pecheur said...

Truly this is great news.

And I love that verse. it is one of my favorites.

January 24, 2006 7:15 AM  
Blogger M. C. Pearson said...

Awesome! Great news...yes indeed, Praise God!

January 24, 2006 3:08 PM  
Blogger audrey` said...

Jesus loves you very much, Corry.
Please take care.

January 27, 2006 2:46 AM  
Blogger audrey` said...

Corry, you're a very special child of God.
Jesus says, "I'll never leave you nor forsake you."
Hebrews 13:5

I love you very much.
Please take care.

January 27, 2006 8:22 PM  
Blogger Refreshment in Refuge said...

Praise God! Corry, thanks for the updates. Good news about gout, which I have. I'll have to ask the doc about it.

Corry, I miss you. I pray you are feeling better. I pray God to soothe your joints and hands and feet.

January 28, 2006 7:45 AM  
Blogger M. C. Pearson said...

Hey there...been praying and thinking about you. God Bless.

January 28, 2006 11:00 PM  
Blogger audrey` said...

Oh yes!
We're missing you Corry.
We're praying and thinking about you.
We love you very much.
Please take care, Corry.

January 29, 2006 1:42 AM  
Blogger Joyce said...

Hi, Corry!
Just want you to know I'm thinking about you and praying for you. Miss you!

*hugs*

January 29, 2006 3:11 PM  
Blogger Corry said...

Audrey:

Hey, dear sister:-)
God can use anything and anyone for good and it's such a comfort to know He is always there for us!

Jesus loves you very much Audrey, and I do too:-)
Thank you for your prayers and encouragement. They help alot:-)

Suz:

Welcome and thank you for visiting:-)

Sorry to hear about you and your mom. I pray a cure will be found soon!
Yes it is great to know the search for a cure is ongoing and progress is being made. God is good.

I pray for both of you.

Pia:

I rejoyce with you and my prayers are with both of you, that your dreams and wishes will soon be fulfilled:-)

Thanks girl, for all the prayers.

luv ya,
mamu:-)

CS:

It is good, it is a blessing. Another reason to be thankful to the Lord!

Lenise:

Sorry for the inconvenience, haha. I can imagine that hickup may not be a good feeling to you but I am sure he was rejoycing with us:-)

I keep praying for you.

Pech:

Yes, praise The Lord!

It was the first time I read that verse but I love it as well. Along with all the other ones:-)

Thanks brother, for all your prayers.

m.c.pearson:

I join you in praise!
Thank you for your prayers. I really appreciate it.

I keep you in mine.

Gina:

Indeed great news. I should have listed all the developements in my post and I apologize, I stuck to RA and arthritis. I thought about it later and posted them in a comment and I am glad I did. I pray it will be of any help to you.

Thank you sister for all your prayers, you are in mine.
God bless you.

Jayne and Joyce:

Thank you both so much for your prayers and concern. I missed y'all. God blessed me with all of you.

God's Grace.

January 29, 2006 4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Copyright © Corryc 2005 - 2014