« Home | Next: Sparkling »
| Next: Tag...I Am It! »
| Next: Taking The Heat? »
| Next: Critter's Cooings »
| Next: The Money-Pit »
| Next: The Message »
| Next: Picking My Brain »
| Next: The Light »
| Next: Banana Boost »
| Next: Fruit »

RA-Related

Policy

Helpful

Recent

Archives





Site Feed: RSS










Thursday, June 07, 2007

Now What????

Many people diagnosed with RA and Arthritis, fall into a black hole at first. I know that from experience as well! You don't know what to expect, what to do, or how to go on. I hope this article may be of some help.

"The “Take Control” Time line:
After receiving an RA diagnosis, follow this general guideline for what should happen in the first two years. Everybody is different, however, so talk to your doctor about the course of treatment that's likely to work for you. "If you are functioning as you need to for your life, your arthritis is well controlled and you're not having excess pain, then your treatment is on target," says Arthur Kavanaugh, MD, rheumatologist and director of the Center for Innovative Therapy at the University of California, San Diego.

At the first sign of symptoms:
Make an appointment with a physician for a diagnosis. Joint damage will be assessed using MRI or X-ray. Prognosis will be estimated based on age, test results and the presence of other rheumatic conditions, such as Sjögren's syndrome, and any involvement of the lungs, heart, spleen or blood vessels.

Within two months:
Methotrexate usually will be the first disease-modifying antirheumatic drug (DMARD) prescribed. Methotrexate takes one to two months to show benefit, so consider a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) or analgesic for pain while the methotrexate begins to work.

Within six months:
If methotrexate is not working by now, your doctor may switch you to another DMARD or add a biologic agent. Monthly or bimonthly liver function tests will be done if you're taking Arava, methotrexate or Remicade; periodically if you take cyclosporine; and yearly if you're taking salicylates or other NSAIDs.

By one year:
If examinations and tests show disease activity, progression or joint damage, your doctor may step up your medication.

After two years:
Disease activity and progression will be monitored at each visit. Discuss the effectiveness of your medications and any health problems you experience with your doctor.

Always:
Continue to learn about your condition, exercise regularly, eat well, lose weight if necessary, stay socially active and protect your joints.
~Arthritis Foundation, Posted 5/8/07, May-June 2007."


The main thing in all of this, however, is not to loose courage and faith. For those of you just diagnosed with RA, take this from this ol' gal, who has been living with it for 19 years now: the meds these days are so good, you won't have to live in and with pain anymore, and the deformities can be stopped before they happen! Yes, you may have to adjust your life some, but... God may close one door, but He will always open others! :-)

Nahum 1:7
The LORD is good, A stronghold in the day of trouble; And He knows those who trust in Him.

11 Comments:

Blogger jel said...

just stopping by and say thanks





huggs

June 08, 2007 3:39 PM  
Blogger Corry said...

Janice,
Thanks for stopping by. Not sure what you are thanking me for? For you taking that great pic?? Thank YOU! :-)

Good to see ya, sis. Will give ya a call after the weekend! :-D

(((HUGS)))

God's Grace.

June 08, 2007 6:40 PM  
Blogger jel said...

for being U! :)

June 08, 2007 7:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Corry I'll second Jel words and say thanks again for the information ! My check up on May 31st was a good one , all my test showed a very good balance in my diabetic and arthritus conditions although my left knee joint was sore and causing a little pain ? I explained to Him that I was walking as much without my cane as I could , and He said for me to slow down because I was over doing it .Needless to say He was right ! I guess I was over joyed about walking without my cane ? Blessing to you and KC and Little KC and wishing ya'll a blessed weekend ! Ron.

June 09, 2007 8:16 AM  
Blogger Corry said...

Janice,
Awww, that is so sweet, thanks! :-)
But... credit where credit is due, I couldn't be that me without Him! :-D

Grandpaw,
Praise The Lord for such a good report and may God continue to bless! :-)
I am so grateful to hear you are walking a lot without the cane. Please, try not to overdo it, that will only have the opposite effect! I think I am preaching to the choir now, haha.
I hope you had a very blessed weekend as well and have a blessed Monday!

God's Grace.

June 11, 2007 5:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Corry, I have missed our daily chats through blogland. I just wanted to stop by and say, "HI".
We are in VBS this week and hopefully things will get back on kilter next week. I will try to check back tomorrow. Blessings to you.

June 12, 2007 2:01 PM  
Blogger Corry said...

Amy,
It's so good to hear from you! :-)
I am glad to hear y'all are allright, thanks for letting me know! Sure miss you as well on here and eagerly await your return. :-)

I hope the VBS is going great and is being blessed. Many blessings to y'all as well.

God's Grace.

June 12, 2007 2:38 PM  
Blogger audrey` said...

Hi Lieve Zus =)

A big, big (((HUG))) to you!

Take care, Corry dearest.

June 15, 2007 6:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Corry
It don't hurt to preach to the choir cause some of us have senoir moments !
Been busy as a one-legged man trying to dance this week with my grandkids in morning and picking them up at 5:30 in the evening to go to VBS .
I ain't complaning just enjoying it.

BTW, I'm sending you and KC belated wishes and congratulations on your aniversary !

Blessings. Grandpaw.

June 15, 2007 9:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Corry, Best of Wishes on your Anniversary. May you have many more years filled with love and happiness.

June 15, 2007 9:56 AM  
Blogger Corry said...

Audrey,
Missed ya, lieve zus!!!

(((HUGS))) and love to you as well. Hope to hear more from you soon! :-D

Grandpaw,
Thank you so much for the wishes! :-)

Yeah, those senior-moments are pretty annoying at times. But some are quite nice, like naps, haha.

I am glad you enjoyed the week. Even in trials God gives many blessings! I hope you will get to feel better soon. I will remember you in my prayers! :-)

Have a wonderful Father's Day and we would like to tell you we are blessed having you as a Grandpaw!

Amy,
Thank you so very much!
We sure go for it and pray for God's continual blessings! :-)

Have a very blessed Sunday!

God's Grace.

June 17, 2007 8:34 AM  

Post a Comment

Copyright © Corryc 2005 - 2014